ThousandEyes supports routing alert notifications directly into ServiceNow's Incident Management Services - a solution for streamlining the logging, classification, assignment, escalation, and reporting of incidents. The following guide describes the process of configuring ServiceNow and ThousandEyes Alert Rules to send the alert notifications directly into the ServiceNow platform.
Table of Contents
The ThousandEyes platform can notify users whenever their test results trigger an Alert Rule. Alert Rules allow configuring various methods of alert notification delivery. One of the supported methods is direct notification delivery into a ServiceNow account. Once the notification is delivered, ServiceNow processes it and allocates tasks based upon pre-defined workflows.
To route alert notifications directly into ServiceNow, the following needs to be properly configured:
- A ServiceNow Integration created
- Alert Rules associated with ServiceNow Integration
- ThousandEyes Tests associated with Alert Rules
To be able to receive ThousandEyes alert notifications directly, ServiceNow must first be configured to allow it. Two configuration steps need to be performed to achieve that:
These instructions assume that a ServiceNow "Service Management Portal" has already been created.
To start, an Incident configuration needs to be performed in your ServiceNow account:
Assign the following fields to an incident:
- Short Description
In this step, an OAuth Application Registry needs to be created:
Select System OAuth Application Registries from ServiceNow's homepage navigation pane
Click Create New Application Registry
Unlock Redirect URL and assign the following value to it: https://app.thousandeyes.com/servicenow-oauth-callback/
Access and Refresh tokens will require manual re-configuration once their lifespans have been exceeded. Token lifespan should be configured, in seconds, for a time deemed reasonable by your ServiceNow administrator (eg: 1 year).
Once submitted, a Client ID will be generated. This value will be used when configuring ThousandEyes' ServiceNow integration in the next section.
NOTE: ThousandEyes recommends creating a dedicated ServiceNow user for integration management. This user should be assigned a role of
A ServiceNow integration must be created before being assigned to Alert Rules.
1) Navigate to the Alerts > Alert Rule page
Start by selecting Alerts > Alert Rules within the menu pane. Then either expand any of the existing Alert Rules or click the Add New Alert Rule button:
Click the Notification tab to display the Integrations section:
Click Configure Integrations or Edit Configurations link depending on which is displayed. This will open a new dialog box.
Click the Add New Integration link.
2) Configure ServiceNow integration settings
The following figure depicts the dialog box for creating a new ServiceNow integration:
Within the dialog box, these fields can be configured:
- Type: Make sure "ServiceNow" is selected
- Name: Select a name for your ServiceNow integration
- ServiceNow URL: The ServiceNow endpoint to which ThousandEyes will send notifications
- Auth URL: The ServiceNow endpoint to which ThousandEyes will authenticate, via OAuth, prior to submitting notifications
- Client ID: The identifier which ThousandEyes will use when authenticating to ServiceNow
3) Obtain a ServiceNow Authentication TokenOnce the fields in the previous step are configured, retrieval of an authentication token is required. ThousandEyes will retrieve and store the authentication token to be used when notifying ServiceNow of alerts. This step will need to be repeated whenever the token expires.
- Click the Get Token button. You should be redirected to the ServiceNow login page.
- Log into ServiceNow, using an account that has been assigned a role of
web_service_admin. Once in, enable permissions for ThousandEyes to access this endpoint.
4) Test your integration
The Test button is provided to verify the correctness of your integration setup. Click it to send a test notification using your new integration. A new incident should be generated in your ServiceNow account.
Once created, ServiceNow integration can be assigned to any Alert Rule by opening the rule's Notifications settings and selecting your new integration from the drop-down list:
- Navigate to the Integrations section of the desired Alert Rule's Notifications configuration tab
- Select the desired ServiceNow integration from the drop-down
- Click Save Changes
Here are some additional details to be aware of:
- Integrations are available on an Account Group basis. An integration can be used by multiple Alert Rules in an Account Group.
- Notification preferences are configured per Alert Rule. Assign your new ServiceNow integration to all Alert Rules that require it.
- Integrations cannot shared between Account Group so must be created per Account Group.
- Multiple integrations may use the same ServiceNow endpoint and authentication token.
The following fields will be mapped upon creation of a new incident:
- State: Set to
Newwhen an alert is triggered and
Resolvedwhen the alert is cleared.
- Urgency: Set to
- Category: Set to
- Short Description: "ThousandEyes Alert triggered for Test: <Test Name>"
- Description: This field will contain alert details including Alert Rule name, number of agents affected, and a URL leading to a view with further details on the ThousandEyes platform.
The following resources provide additional information:
- October 11th, 2018 ThousandEyes blog post provides a general introduction to ThousandEyes ServiceNow integration support.
- How Alerts Work article provides detailed information regarding Alert Rules and Alert Notifications.
- Creating and editing Alert Rules is a short guide about how to manage Alert Rules within the ThousandEyes platform.